Pages

Search Blog and Web

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Some recipes that have been rocking our world:
Happy Herbivore's Everyday Mushroom Gravy (apparently a video recipe by Lindsey here http://happyherbivore.com/2013/11/vegan-plant-based-thanksgiving-recipes/)
We have put this on rice or vegetables or both (like on potatoes or green beans or broccoli and rice). 
It is water-based and only has a little bit of alternative milk (since we're "watching our weight") and uses almost a POUND OF MUSHROOMS....

Also, something's magical about this green salad:
Sliced romaine hearts (2)
1/2 bag (~6?oz) spring mix
any vegetables. we like a small head of broccoli, one pepper, tomatoes
optional: dried cranberries, chopped nuts
Anyway, then you dust it heavily with nutritional yeast, give it a good sprinkle of seasoned rice vinegar, salt and pepper it and it's SO good.  Oh and some onion and garlic powder. Magical, like I said.

When I'm just cooking for me and the boy, I often just make a humongous batch of rice (3 C. dry to 3.5 C water, soak it first) and prepare some frozen vegetables to go with it.  We love peas.  And corn, my goodness.  I sprinkle a small amount of rice vinegar on my corn before microwaving it and add salt and pepper.  It tastes delicious and I have no idea why.

Corn on the cob is in season too, so that's a great idea.

Small red potatoes and squash and zucchini are great.  That was inspired by my SILster, Nicole.

Stuffed squash is on the docket.  It's my "Mom"s recipe.  Take out the squash insides and replace with rice, whole wheat bread crumbs, diced tomatoes, nutritional yeast, onion and garlic powder....I think that's about it.  You can really put in anything you want--mushrooms.  Then bake it at about 350 until the squashes are ever so tender.

Tonight, I'm going to make rice and cauliflower with corn and serve it with the mushroom sauce.

Here's some things I really want to make once we can afford to eat it:
Spaghetti Squash with thai peanut sauce
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
Pasta with Butternut "Parmesan" Sauce
slow-cooked Stuffed Bell Peppers (minus the cheese)
peanut butter chocolate chip Cookie Dough bites
I found these ideas at www.takethemameal.com and I'm going to copy them but not use any oil or dairy and instead use Happy Herbivore's recipes.....so I'll be changing them quite a bit and hopefully post my results.

1 comment:

  1. Another easy cheesy recipe.....SIMPLE CHEESE SAUCE! Happy Herbivore. It doesn't look like this recipe is on the internet, so I'll try to get to posting it. It's something like tomato sauce, nutritional yeast, onion/garlic powder, cornstarch.....

    ReplyDelete