Pages

Search Blog and Web

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

cooking these days (the past year)

November 30, 2012 at 12:33am
So for the past few months, we have been slowly working the processed foods from the house (canned food, boxed grains)--mixing them with healthier things. We are to a point the past week or so that we are able to use dry foods and fresh foods almost totally.  It has taken us over 4 years to accustom our taste buds to healthy eating, so I cannot complain about the flavor of things.
I am honest when I say that over 90% of America would deny our ways for flavor alone. These people are seduced by their food (Neal Barnard's idea), addicted to their food, and apart from these mental blockages do not know what flavor is.  I am a victim of this too.  Interestingly, I have found that after I "fulfill" a craving (thinking it will be a one time fix), the next day I am craving something else or more.  You don't fulfill food cravings, just like you don't fulfill cravings of other drugs.
So the flavor has been awesome.  Some things have been like, "I won't make this again."  Somethings have been like, "Good I have something to pull out of my monthly repertoire."  But other things have been like, "WOW.  10+.  I cannot wait to have this again!"  It was the second time we have made "black beans with rice" and I wrote on the sheet, "
The delight of our grocery bill has ready been reported on facebook.  On two occasions, we have gone to WinCo (the local "get-everything-here" store "because it's way cheaper") and dreadfully LOADED up our cart with ALL that we need and found it only set us back $20-$40.  Other times, I buy a bunch of soy yogurt, almondmilk, or cereals (things like this) and again, my bill is $20 for what I think isn't that much food.  But these are valuable snacks and quick eats for us.
So the only set back I have found to living this way (and they are major setbacks--not for me, but especially for busy people) is time.  On two occasions, time.  They are not over-complicated menus, but it just takes more time to soak and cook, rather than heat up.  It truly hasn't bothered me though.  And then also, clean up has been outrageous.  I mean, I was overwhelmed last night, but I think it took a full 30 minutes to clean up.  Not bad!  And consider the time it takes to go to the hospital, wait for an appointment, see the doctor, run to the pharmacy, and THEN make dinner.  I'd rather soak my healthy beans and cook my potatoes.
Before we were philosophical vegans (meaning we totally THINK that way, but don't ALWAYS eat that way, given that our bodies can handle bad substances here and there (which can get out of hand quickly, like donuts at the office)) and fat-free eaters.  Fat-free eaters acknowledge that there is sufficient fat IN whole plant foods and that we don't need to add ANY fat--"good" or "bad"--for any health reasons.  Therefore, when I add oil (a teaspoon goes far enough, you don't always need a tablespoon), I know it's for flavor, not for cookability or healthsake.  And I have found that there is very few which NEED oil for flavor.  So to simplify things, so I don't keep talking so much, here is a list of our we-are-nots and we-ares:

VeganFat-free
it's bad enough already, right?  Recently, to add to it:
Whole
Reduced (to almost none) sodium
 I must admit that Jonathan has dragged me onto the low-sodium wagon.  It is the only aspect of our ways that I wasn't fully on board with.  Reason being, my new trick to liking food was SALT.  HOWEVER, it was the easiest to change.  It only took a week or two of eating very low sodium combined with very high sodium (ridding the pantry) to find that the very high sodium was not at all flavor, it was just SALTY.  People's minds are tricked into equating salt with flavor.  Now flavor is what it is.  Low sodium for us means to go ahead and moderately use the saltshaker, but quit the boxes, quit the cans (or rinse the contents till the bubbles disappear), limit the sauces (sad), or compromise and find low sodium options (from half your daily allowance to 1/8, sometimes).

Here's how we read labels.  Do this for cereal and you will quickly learn that the healthy cereals are just fortified nothingness.  But don't worry, there are healthy cereals that are tasty too, you just have to weed through the bad ones.  Label reading:
'calories from fat'/'total calories' (that's division) to get around 10% fat.compare total calories to mg of sodium.  They should be equal.  Ideally (but it's never the case in packaged foods) calories will be way higher than sodium. there should be at LEAST 3g fiber for every 100 calories.
The first 5-ish ingredients on the list should NOT be sugar or sweetenerany flour or grain should have the word, "WHOLE" in front of it, or it's not whole and the best part has been shed (i.e., wheat flour =white flour)
So here is a website developed through the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM): www.nutritionmd.org
We signed up and so we can go in, they give you about 10 options to choose from for each meal for 7 days.  You can view the recipe, select what you want and they save them there with their easy access recipes.  Then you can click 'shopping list' and they will have it all in list form.  So far this week, this is what I personally have been stoked about eating and making again, in every single way:
Mushroom stroganoff
Curried Chickpea and Potato
Two is good! But the other things have been super decent and ironically what Jonathan has raved over, which are:
South of the Border Pizza
Hoppin' John Salad
So that's pretty awesome.  Again, we have eaten this way for a long time. I just found it note-worthy that now that we are becoming even more full-fledged in it and in a sense making it impossible for ourselves, it has become way more rewarding, much more satisfying, and therefore more doable!

We increased our full-fledgedness when Jonathan completed an online certification in plant based nutrition from Cornell University, developed by Dr. T. Colin Campbell of the PCRM.  It was a great refresher for how important it is that we not let ourselves become seduced by and addicted to food, but USE food for our bodies' health for which our Creator purposed them.

October 16, 2013. Update: We started this year deciding to eat well.  I had left Christmas break feeling sick and 6 pounds heavier.  After the healthy eating decision and deciding to walk an hour daily, I only gained 2 pounds the rest of the pregnancy and felt better than I ever had before.  After gaining a total of 16 pounds during my pregnancy, I have lost 30 postpartum and feel great. The best thing is that I know I am healthy INSIDE.  A healthy prenatal diet and exercise routine was one of our best decisions.  It is LIBERATING to be stronger and smarter than my cravings!
Some people would rather make many easy decisions to eat what tastes good and feels good and "die happy."  But don't they know that they are consenting to diseases that will lead them down a miserable road?

No comments:

Post a Comment