Pages

Search Blog and Web

Monday, April 18, 2011

current path to midwifery: getting an education

I was running errands around town so that I could apply to a major university for a different path to midwifery.  I had to stop at the post office to pick up a parcel.  It was my nursing packet to start nursing this fall!
So I ended up neverminding the alternate path, which was this.
Start a 3-year program in June (14 months from now) to get my RN and specialty masters in Women's Health Nurse Practitioner/Certified Nurse Midwifery.   That's in San Francisco.

Here's what we'll benefit from by staying here and doing this program:
I'll be an RN at the same time (spring 2013)
cheaper living
build our resumes: labor and postpartum doula/ childbirth educator/lactation consultant certification
build reference relationships/mentorships
keep volunteering at Pregnancy Crisis Center
Take Statistics course--my last bachelor's requirement
This way, we have 2 years to prepare, rather than one rushed and uncertain year.

Do the dual specialty with my ADN, and all this extra experience.

So those are my goals.  And our goals.  Jonathan is as supportive as can be.  That's AWESOME!

Get ready, here we come!

4 comments:

  1. oh great. i like the idaho plan more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pic. Do you think that Trent and Ila have her characteristics?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting! Sounds like it worked out for the best!

    ReplyDelete