Pages

Search Blog and Web

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Trust versus Fear

I usually think of doubt as the opposition to trust and fear as the opposition to confidence.  But the challange I am going to blog about is trusting versus fearing.

I never thought of myself as a scaredy-cat.  Growing up, I knew it was a dreadful disgrace to be afraid of things, because that means you think you're less powerful than other things. 
Spiders
The dark
People that jump out at you from behind things

Very early in life, I acknowledged my fear of spiders and later on I acknowledged my fear of the dark.  But recently I have been more aware and I know now that I am very scared of lots of other things: moths, all kinds of bugs, misplaced cats, things under the water where I swim, dark movies and then the list moves on to deeper things in life. I don't need to keep listing.  The issue I have addressed after these things is how I act when I am afraid.  I lose my confidence, my view of the larger picture, my composure, my peace, and my trust in God's control.

This is why it is not He who has given us a spirit of Fear.

God does not give us things that take away are ability to believe in Him.  But we do have challenges. 

He created us with a spirit of power, love, and of a sound mind.

Confidence, Peace, and Understanding are crucial for an Abundant life.  If I am aware of how I react to very small things, it will give me insight to how I react to larger things of the same nature.  The bottom of my fear is 'loss of control' and 'surprise.'  Knowing that I am afraid of these can help me a lot to guard my reactions when I am afraid. 

I can address myself to trust in my Lord instead of being scared about something I cannot control.  He allows us to go through things that can be very frightening, but he has given us the spirit we need to get through it.  And everybody learns that it's not about all the physical tools in life that help us along, but our spirit that we choose to take with us. Without good spirit, life quickly becomes increasingly dismal and impossible.

I will choose the Holy Spirit.  It is God's Spirit that I have been fashioned after.  His Spirit alone is built just right to get us through even the toughest of fears. 

2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing Telcia! It's a great reminder for me, as I tend to be afraid so often. A lot of the things I fear are what you fear.

    Can't wait to see you trust the Lord more!
    (and kill or remove those pesky moths and spiders with less squealing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good thoughts. life abundantly... it's a journey and i like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such good thoughts, Telcia. It's so easy for me to be afraid of "this or that" happening, and usually I just brush those thoughts off, but really it's a lack of trust in the Lord that makes me worry that way. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete